Sunday, December 5, 2010

Berlin: Ich liebe dich, aber....

Okay Berlin, you know I absolutely love you...but...WHY do you not know how to deal with snow?! Last Thursday we got our first big snow storm here in Berlin (I'd say about 5 inches of snow) and while nobody really seemed to be freaking out all that bad, the city of Berlin does not seem to know what to do with the snow once it hits the ground. I haven't seen anyone shoveling the sidewalks, upon which there is still about 3 inches of packed snow that I have to walk over every day (and guess what, it's not melting because it's so darn cold here!) and the one time I did see someone trying to get rid of the snow off the sidewalk it was with a BROOM...Huh?! The train station floors are covered in a lovely brown slush as are the floors of most stores you go into. I'm very perplexed...this seems SO Un-German the way they are (not) dealing with the snow. Also, I've seen ONE snowplow and it almost hit me as I was crossing the street...ha. 


So, that's my rant for the day. Nothing else to really update on. This is my last week of IES classes (What?! When did that happen?) and after this week we have finals...and then I come home for Christmas on the 19th!!! (Exactly 2 weeks from today!) It's a really conflicting mix of emotions...I'm SO excited to go home and see everyone but at the same time I know I only have 2 weeks left with the amazing friends I've made who are only staying for the semester :( Ach, wie schnell die Zeit vergeht! Nevertheless, it's the last two weeks we have to live it up (and study for finals and write papers...) and it's going to be GREAT. Not to toot our own horn or anything...but IES Berlin is definitely the best group of them all :)


Ich gehe jetzt ins Bett..
Gute Nacht!

No comments:

Post a Comment